Monday, June 20, 2011

Laugh break

I can't believe RWA Nationals is only a week away! I have yet to pack, but I'm making a good dent in house cleaning. I know...why clean up if I'm leaving behind three boys, a husband, and a dog? Like I'll be coming home to a clean place. Right. Anyway, for all of you in need of a laugh break, I came across a few writing jokes. I have no idea who wrote them, but I found them at this site by Karyn Hollis at villanova edu. I hope they jump start your week with a smile :).

A writer died and was given the option of going to heaven or hell.

She decided to check out each place first. As the writer descended into the fiery pits, she saw row upon row of writers chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they were repeatedly whipped with thorny lashes.

"Oh my," said the writer. "Let me see heaven now."

A few moments later, as she ascended into heaven, she saw rows of writers, chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they, too, were whipped with thorny lashes.

"Wait a minute," said the writer. "This is just as bad as hell!"

"Oh no, it's not," replied an unseen voice. "Here, your work gets published."

A screenwriter comes home to a burned down house. His sobbing and slightly-singed wife is standing outside.

“What happened, honey?” the man asks.

“Oh, John, it was terrible,” she weeps. “I was cooking, the phone rang. It was your agent. Because I was on the phone, I didn’t notice the stove was on fire. It went up in second. Everything is gone. I nearly didn’t make it out of the house. Poor Fluffy is--”

“Wait, wait. Back up a minute,” The man says. “My agent called?”

Ode to the Spell Check

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It cam with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew!

5 comments:

  1. Ha! Both were great!

    Rula, are we going to see each other at Nationals? Girlfriend, we need a plan to meet up. (I have't even THOUGHT of packing yet) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needed a laugh today LOL. 1 week?! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kaily and Jennifer,

    Glad you had a laugh :)
    I know you'll both be at Nationals, and I plan on seeing you both.

    Jennifer, will you be at the harl. pj party? If not, we can email cell numbers and touch base...or call out if we recognize each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen these before, but they never get old.

    Maybe I'll see you at the conference next week. I still have to go shopping. :P

    ReplyDelete