Monday, August 29, 2011

And they're off!!!

Today is the first day of school in our county. All my kids woke up long before they had to. You think they were excited much? LOL. It's funny how attitudes change from elementary school to middle school. My second grader's biggest concern was if he'd get to have reading time in 2nd grade (he loves to read). My sixth grader wanted to know if he'd be getting homework the first week of school, and my eighth grader lost no time in reminding me that it would be very uncool for me to go to the bus stop with them. Although I did go to the bus with my 2nd grader...camera in hand...I gave in and took pics of the other two up by the house.

I feel lost.

Seriously. I've been craving a quiet house and me time, but I think it'll take a few days for it to feel normal. Mixed emotions are all a part of sending kids off to school. It got me thinking about the pros and cons, so I'll leave you today with a best and worst list for the first day of school (a mom's perspective of course).

5 Best things about the first day of school and beyond:

1. A QUIET house!!!
2. Uninterrupted writing time.
3. A QUIET house!!! Oh, I said that already.
4. Grocery shopping without the kids in tow.
5. Being able to book appointments (doctor, dentist etc...) for myself without worrying about childcare.

5 Worst things about the first day of school and beyond:

1. Waking up early to pack lunches (I have allergy kids, so I have to pack).
2. Homework battles.
3. Dealing with a child's test anxiety.
4. Bedtime battles.
5. Getting sucker punched by the fact that your babies are another year older, not just in age but socially and physically too. My oldest passed my height by an inch just last week!!! It freaked me out, LOL! His feet and arms are longer than mine too. Geesh!

I do want to add my prayers for everyone in areas where schools are closed because of damage from hurricane Irene. I'm so sorry for the loss of lives. We were in the outer bands but didn't experience much more than a rainy day. The photos of east coast damage are horrible.

Do you have kids or childhood memories about the best and worst of back-to-school?

5 comments:

  1. Enjoy that quiet house. I have no kids and that's probably for the best. I don't know that I could do what you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quiet house is definitely #1. And on the other side, homework battles. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. School doesn't start for another week here. I have mixed feelings about it. I'm happy but I don't want summer to end. Plus my kido starts a new school and will be walking so I'm nervous about that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maria! It has its challenges, but so does taking care of so many pets :)

    Hi Carol! I have yet to come up with a HW incentive that lasts more than a month. I keep having to rotate out incentive programs and sometimes coming up with ideas is hard...especially after the 'newness' of school wears off.

    Hey Jennifer! Starting a new school is nerve wracking, even for the parents. My middle child is starting new at a middle school this year, but it helps that we've gotten used to the school since it'll be my eldest's third year there. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like I missed a bit over here. Where does the time go?

    I gave in and took a picture of my son on his first day back at school today. He likes taking pictures, so it was all good.

    ReplyDelete