Monday, January 9, 2012

Word association

Our subconcious mind is a mighty thing. It can both empower and weaken any individual. In my opinion, it's at least partially responsible for luring even the strongest, most experienced writers into the dark world of 'clichedom' (let your mind add the accent). It can also make the difference between an individual gravitating towards a certain book title...or not. Think about it (or not). Our subconcious mind rules word association.

The idea behind getting the first draft of a manuscript out of your head and into print is to write without self-editing. Let the words flow. Get the story out...and revise it later. Well, when you write the first thing that comes to mind, it often includes a cliche. We've heard certain expressions, analogies, and actions so often that they're the first thing our mind goes for when we're trying to grasp for 'the right words'. Hence, the need to tackle the 'twist' during revisions.

What about book titles? Are there any words that turn you away because they have a negative association for you? I don't know the process publishers go through to choose book titles, but what do you want to bet that they've run stats on which key words sell? Which key words a reader associates with the feeling/experience they want to get out of a book? Subconcious marketing...a mighty thing ;).

So how about some fun with all this? You know the game. I say (list) a word and you have to respond with the very first word that pops in your head (keep in mind that I don't have content warnings on this site ;). I'm interested in seeing if the ten words I've listed result in similar responses for those of you who are writers, and perhaps different responses for those who are (non-writer) readers. Note: I've included some prefixes. Here it goes...

Dark
French
The
Pro-
Para-
Complete
Self
Free
Fire
Hand

After listing your first responses, give yourself a minute to think. Did any of your word association answers change?

6 comments:

  1. I stink at book titles. But I really enjoy seeing clever ones made up from known sayings.
    Like...
    You Had me at Goodbye
    or
    Happily Never After
    or
    I'm with Cupid

    I don't know why. I always think a clever title means a cleverly written book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Rula,
    Here are my thoughts

    Dark-ness
    French - Coffee
    The - End
    Pro-found
    Para-graph
    Completed
    Self-published
    Free-hand
    Fire-brand
    Hand-some

    If I think for a moment, I do come up with other stuff. As to book titles, I've been lucky my publishers like my one word suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the same kind of titles Jennifer does. Here were my responses - they didn't change:
    Dark Light
    French Roast
    The A
    Pro- logue
    Para- graph
    Complete All
    Self Ego
    Free Pricey
    Fire Blaze
    Hand Foot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming up with titles is almost as difficult as writing a query. I suck at both.

    Thanks for the reminder about first drafts. I start mine next week. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this exercise. My titles are plain without a lot of thought. But they get the thought across.

    Dark Knight
    French Kiss
    The End
    pro-Gram
    Para-legal
    Complete and Utter Nonsense
    Self Employed
    Free Hold
    Fire Starter
    Hand Job

    Sorry about the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jennifer! I love clever titles too. Especially ones like 'Happily Never After'. I love a good play on words or on an old title.

    Hey J.L.! I love how you came up with French-coffee...then Carol had French-roast :). I didn't even think along those lines. I like one word titles. I like simplicity. I even chose single syllable names for my kids ;)

    Hi Carol! We share a few words (I'll list mine in a minute). It's interesting how you tend towards opposites...and some are coming up with word endings etc...

    Hi Stina! Titles are tough. It's also tough for me not to edit as I go.

    Hey Anne! LOL on your last one ;) You're the only one so far who has the same response as I do on the first two words! Love your complete and utter nonsense lol.

    Okay everyone. I'll go ahead and list my responses:

    Dark-Knight
    French-Kiss
    The-Call
    Pro-logue
    Para-graph
    Complete-manuscript
    Self-published
    Free-write
    Fire-man
    Hand-written

    ReplyDelete