Saturday, December 21, 2013

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Snowball Cookies

It has been awhile since I posted a recipe, but it's hard (especially for my kids) to walk by whimsical and, no doubt, yummy Christmas cookies in the grocery store and not be able to have any. Sure, I  know all the gluten free brands and it's not like we're cookie deprived, but I can't resist baking during the holidays and my boys wanted 'Christmas' cookies...so here's what I just finished baking. No snowball fights broke out. They were too good to throw ;).


Rula's GF/DF Snowball Cookies


Mix together:

1 1/2 c softened Earth Balance Buttery Spread (my choice in lieu of butter, but you can substitute)
1 c sugar
1/8 to 1/4 tsp salt (in other words, just a dash)
2 1/2 c Bob's Red Mill white rice flour
1 c Bob's Red Mill tapioca starch
1/4 tsp Bob's Red Mill xanthan gum (helps texture so they don't fall apart...might work without)

Add:

1 tsp vanilla extract (Variation - you can substitute 1/2 of the vanilla with almond extract)
2 eggs

Mix well then...

Preheat oven to 350 F (of course you can do this earlier)
Line cookie pans with sheets of parchment paper
Roll dough between your palms to shape 1 inch balls and place them on the cookie sheet about 1 inch apart
Bake for 15-20 minutes...until they just begin to turn brown
Let cool slightly, but make sure they're still very warm

Powdered sugar coating:

Put about 1 c of powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl and roll 2-3 snowballs at a time to coat. Set on paper towels to cool completely (I use paper towels because they absorb any condensation from the warm cookies against my cool counters...you don't want soggy snow balls...and they keep the sugar from making a mess).

That's it! It's that easy. This recipe makes approximately 50 snowballs. Sounds like a lot...but trust me they won't last.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments: